The Chancellor of Mexico, Marcelo Ebrard, announced on Monday, 12, that the flow of illegal immigrants crossing the border to the United States, mainly Central American, has decreased 74.5% in eight months since Mexico presented its migration and development plan.
"Crossings to the United States were reduced by 74.5%, coinciding with the rescues of the National Migration Institute," said Ebrard during the morning press conference of Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador.
The chancellor said that Mexico "today has positive results" not only because the irregular flow of migrants is being reduced, but also because the people who are in the national territory "are safe".
Between January and May 2019, the migration of people without regular documentation on the U.S. southern border skyrocketed nearly 150%, sparking a furious reaction from President Donald Trump, who threatened to impose high tariffs on Mexico if he did not interrupt these flows.
In June, Mexico committed itself to the United States to take "unprecedented steps" to curb migration, an agreement that was the lifeline for preventing tariffs on its exports – 80% of which go to the United States. Since then, the López Obrador government has sent some 26,000 military personnel, in addition to immigration agents, to the northern and southern borders.
Ebrard also said that the number of immigrants waiting on Mexican soil for the outcome of their cases in the US immigration courts has dropped from 50,000 to about 2,500.
Since January 2019, the U.S. has been sending immigrants, many from Central America and some from Brazil, to Mexico, according to the guideline known as the Migrant Protection Protocols, in an effort to contain the waves of asylum seekers in the U.S.